Friday, April 15, 2011

Settling In Amongst the Ringing Bells, Barking Dogs, and Breathtaking Views

Hello, dear friends!

This post is going to be short and sweet because I have big tasks ahead of me--like napping. I arrived in Rome at 10 this morning, after a 7.5-hour flight that was delayed by almost an hour. My dear friend Emanuela picked me up, drove me to the train station at Tiburtina, and I disembarked at Terni. My luggage was so heavy that several strangers offered to help me carry it up and down flights of stairs. I declined the first offer, dragging the poor oversized parcel behind me, clanging down the steps, but then another man, seeing the two ascendant flights laying ahead of me, insisted on carrying it. Bless these kind Italian souls! My baggage weighs a tonne! Oof.

I was picked up at Terni by two of my remarkably friendly and enthusiastic colleagues for the next two months, and they told me a little bit about Labro and the surrounding area. Once I was settled in to my hotel room/living quarters--chosen by one of the hotel staff specifically for its close proximity to the wireless Internet access point--we headed off to make lunch. All I did was chop vegetables, and two of the artists with whom I'll be working created the rest of the meal.

The meal consisted of gnocchi with a dairy-cheese based sauce for the whole group, but they made couscous with chopped vegetables and a mindblowingly perfect addition of sea salt chunks, as well as a stir-fry of eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, and white beans. What a perfect welcome meal for the vegan! I was exquisitely accommodated, and I look forward to the other meals we'll be putting together. If anyone has any suggestions for quick, simple meals to put together ('cause I may end up, at some point, being the brainchild behind a group meal), I'm all ears!

I didn't have much of a chance to take great photos of the grounds (the cloister of the monastery and something worth beholding. It's ever so peaceful), so below are photos of my quaint little hotel room and the spectacular view from the window. As I started typing this, bells chimed outside, marking the time at every quarter-hour mark, and a dog barked to add its own melody. I think I'll enjoy my humble, though currently chilly (monastery walls aren't well insulated, I gather) abode for the next two months.

Until next time...

Vegan in Italia






3 comments:

Josiane said...

Gorgeous! Thanks for the news and the pics! I'm glad to know things are off to a great start. :)

Deleilan said...

That view of tiled roofs is absolutely enchanting. It looks like you're surrounded with lovely people!

Babette said...

The surroundings look beautiful... I'm looking forward to reading more about your stay in Italia.