Friday, March 5, 2010

A Happy, Herbivorous Collage: a Tribute to One Happy Herbivore

Greetings!

I hope you're all doing well. I've been pretty busy this last week, racing to job interviews, working full-time, working out, going to yoga, and watching True Blood with my sister (once you get to know me, you'll learn that time must always be made for vampires). On top of all that, I've got something new to make me busy, and even a bit of money: for those who may not know already, I have been selected to be Montreal's Vegan Food Examiner. I'd been looking around for jobs in my field (hence the job interviews this week), which would include really anything having to do with writing, translating, editing, proofreading, and so on. Potential employers have been asking me, "What is it that you want to do?" and it always struck me as a funny question to ask in a job interview, but it makes sense: why should they go through the trouble of hiring me if their job offers nothing of interest to me? So I answered this question twice this week in a formal setting, and again when I was recounting the stories to loved ones. What do you want? What a loaded question!

Anyway, I haven't come here to bombard you with existential issues; this is a vegan food blog and I have just introduced myself as the Montreal Vegan Food Examiner, so clearly this is not the time nor the place to discuss what I want out of my professional life (other than to eat and talk about food, because clearly that is what Examiner wants me to do. Zing!). But I would truly appreciate if, before I get to the true point of this post, you would skip on over to my page on Examiner.com and subscribe to my articles and mark me as a favourite Examiner. I have some exciting articles in the works, one of which will be an interview with a Montreal restauranteur, coming next week! So please stay tuned, and I am thanking you in advance for your enthusiasm, loyalty, and support. You guys are awesome.

Now, onto this post. Just a few days ago, I finished my recipe testing for Lindsay Nixon, the Happy Herbivore many of us have come to know--even at a vast or not-so-vast geographical distance--and love. (Holy smokes, did you see that she has a recipe for raw vegan ice cream? Yessir!) It was a process that started at the end of 2009 when she invited about a dozen of friends and people with whom she had collaborated on past projects to become her wild chickpeas, that is, her recipe testers. In the month of February, we all completed the last testing phase, submitting lengthy, detailed reviews to Lindsay every Friday like clockwork. We were glad, grateful, and eager to spend the shortest month of the year having our meals and snacks planned by her ingenious culinary mastery. I particularly enjoyed the last week of February, when a handful of recipes turned into set dinner plans for every evening that week. Thanks, Lindsay! We can't wait for your cookbook, and this post is dedicated to you!

Here come the photos :-) (not pictured here are the Smokey Black-Bean Enchiladas that provided the most welcome introduction to Mexican cooking ever.)


Cheezy Broccoli Casserole


Serving of Cheezy Broccoli Casserole: the dark crispy part's the best. This dish was one of a kind. I was sad to share it with my sister, because it was that good.


Comforting and delicately sweet Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins (well, this guy's by his lonesome)


Chana Palak Masala with half a piece of naan: one of the best meals for a cold winter's day


Oil-free Pesto, which I very affectionately call Pesto dell'erbivora felice


Pesto gets a little dressed up with some of Nonna's tomato sauce


Let me pause here: you would think that, "It looks like bacon, smells like bacon, and tastes like bacon" would make this bacon, right? Wrong! This baconized TVP blew this vegan away. The best part about this bacon, though, aside from its taste, is that it fools omnivores! My mum could not believe that this wasn't ground bacon or something like it. It's so tasty that I kept eating it straight out of the pan, even though its final use was for the meal pictured below. Speaking of which...


Lindsay, you're a freakin' genius, thinking to put bacon bits on fettucine alfredo. Freakin' genius!


Yemisir W'et, a delicious, nutritious, and absolutely scrumptious Ethiopian dish, is pictured here served on Markouk bread since injera is pretty hard to find and a little too time-consuming to make.


Pleasant and fun Cheeze Pizza (on chapati)


Cheeze Pizza gets all dressed up. Might I add that these are delicious eaten as sandwich wraps?


Maple Cornmeal Biscuits


These Fruity Granola Bars do not last long in my house: they are the perfect handheld snack and are very healthy, too. But their health qualities go without saying, since Lindsay's specialty is healthy, fat-free cooking.


Lower-calorie Pad Thai: I heart you. You'll figure out to which dish it is compared with regards to its being "lower in calories" when you buy her cookbook. :)


Lower-calorie Pad Thai with baked asparagus and grilled red peppers (veggies made by Momma)

And that's it for now. Lindsay, it was a pleasure testing these recipes for you, and I look forward to collaborating with you again in the future! Congratulations on the cookbook and I wish you all the success you deserve.

And to you, my dear readers, thanks for stopping by. Do check out Lindsay's cookbook when it is released. Check http://www.happyherbivore.com/ for updates.

Have a great weekend,

Vegan in Suburbia

7 comments:

Nathan said...

Thanks for sharing the photos, can't wait to get the cookbook! I love her e-cookbooks.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

XOXOX knowing you has been MY pleasure -- I am grateful every day to have you on my team. I can't imagine you not having been apart of this process or project -- all my wildchickpeas are so special to me.

Mihl said...

Congrats on the Examiner job! And wow, you've been a super tester! The pesto looks very delicious and so do all the other foods.

Babette said...

I have never tried a Happy Herbivore recipe, but your post simply convinced me to get the cookbook once it comes out. Everything looks incredible : the casserole, the alfredo pasta, the "bacon", etc. Wow, I am stunned.

Hannah said...

SO many good eats here, I don't know what looks best!

Kris said...

Thank you, guys! :-)

@Nathan: I can't wait, either :D

@Lindsay: Your words really touched me. Thank you. xox

@Mihl: Thanks for the congratulations :) Testing is super fun; I love being "on assignment" to try new foods. (You knoooow, if you ever put together a cookbook... ;))

@Babette: I'm glad that you've been introduced to Lindsay's stuff via my photos. The bacon, seriously, is out of this world. By the way, are you headed to the Expo Manger Santé this weekend? Take care!

@Hannah: Good stuff, eh? I feel funny saying "thanks" 'cause the recipes are all thanks to Lindsay.

Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

Ricki said...

I'm already a fan of Lindsay's blog and recipes, but this review was a great peek at the tester recipes! Very much looking forward to her book. :)